Conclusions and Sidenotes:
- I came from Bohol and rode a ferry straight to Bato, Leyte from Ubay, Bohol
- It’s a 3-hour boat ride.
- We stayed at a friend’s house. Accommodation is not part of the budget.
- We were 11 in our group including our host.
- Me and Fati (our host) did the groceries for our food (will list the budget below)
- No one in our group knows how to drive so we had to commute.
- If you’re planning to go island hopping to Cuatro Islas, be early.
- Be at the wharf as early as 6 AM.
- There will be people queuing for a boat (especially on peak season), so the earlier, the better.
- Island hopping prices starts at Php 2,500 for 10 pax to Php 4,500 for 20 pax and more.
- We personally didn’t contact anyone. We ended up not going because of the queue.
- Going to Canigao island is easy (see post below).
- It is only a 15/20-minute ride away from the wharf.
- There are a lot of people who goes to the island and can be crowded for your liking.
- We brought our own food for the night. There are grill stations around the island too if you want to cook your food.
Getting to and around Southern Leyte:
- By plane – Nearest airport is in Tacloban (Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport), commute your way to Southern, Leyte (bus or van)
- By Boat – Almost every municipality has a port bound to and from Cebu (see list). There are also ferries from Bato, Leyte-bound for Bohol.
- By Land – Bus, van, and tricycles are the most common mode of transportation. It depends on how far you’re traveling to or from. If it’s a short distance, try riding a tricycle. For longer rides, vans and buses are advised. (Note: It is hard to commute
Getting to Cuatro Islas:
We didn’t go there personally but I tried following another blog (Refer here)
Getting to Canigao Island:
- Matalom, Leyte is the drop off point to and from Canigao island. They don’t have any port, only a wharf.
- Landmark would be the wharf behind Matalom’s Municipal plaza.
- There will be a ticketing area. You need to register and pay the designated fare for the boat, entrance fee, and overnight stay fee.
- I paid Php 65.00 for the boat fare, Php 40.00 for the entrance fee. There should have been an additional fee for sleeping in a tent but nobody asks us for the payment.
- Boats bound for Canigao starts traveling as early 6 AM. The last trip ends at 5 PM.
Personal Itinerary (starting from Bohol)
Day 1 (Friday)
|9:30 AM||Ride a bus bound for Ubay, Bohol|
|9:30 AM – 1:00 PM||Bus ride to Ubay, Bohol|
|1:00 PM – 2:00 PM||Arrived at Ubay market, went to the port (walking distance), also had late lunch|
|2:00 PM||ETD of ferry bound for Bato, Leyte (boat got delayed departing)|
|2:00 PM – 5:00 PM||Boat ride to Bato, Leyte|
|5:00 PM – Onwards||Arrived in Bato, Leyte Port. Free time|
Day 2 (Saturday)
|5:00 AM||Wake up call|
|5:00 AM – 6:00 AM||Fetch a few friend from the port, running errands (buying groceries and essentials)|
|6:00 AM – 8:00 AM||Cooking time and preparing of the things to bring.|
|8:00 AM – 8:30 AM||Van ride to Inopacan, Leyte|
|8:30 AM – 9:00 AM||Last minute buying of food.|
|9:00 AM – 10:30 AM||Stayed in Inopacan wharf to plan out something else (Too many people queuing that we just cancelled going to Cuatro Islas)|
|10:30 AM – 11:00 AM||Van ride to Bato, Leyte|
|11:00 AM – 11:20 AM||Multi-cab ride bound for Kiosko, Matalom|
|11:20 AM||Arrived in Kiosko, Matalom|
|11:20 AM – 11:30 AM||Trek to the spring ahead of Kiosko|
|11:30 AM – 2:30 PM||Stayed at the spring, had lunch a few drinks|
|2:30 PM – 3:00 PM||Packed up and ride a multi-cab back to the house|
|3:00 PM – 4:00 PM||Rest and prepared the things for Canigao island|
|4:00 PM – 4:15 PM||Multi-cab ride bound for Matalom|
|4:15 PM – 5:00 PM||Arrived at Matalom wharf, waiting time for the boat bound for Canigao|
|5:00 PM – 5:20 PM||Boat ride to Canigao Island|
|5:20 PM – 6:00 PM||Set up the tents, Sunset photo shoot and started cooking|
|6:00 PM – 7:00 PM||Free time while waiting for the food|
|7:00 PM – 8:00 PM||Dinner Time|
|8:00 PM – onwards||Late night drinks|
Day 3 (Sunday)
|6:00 AM||Wake up Call|
|6:00 AM – 8:00 AM||Breakfast time|
|8:00 AM – 10:00 AM||Free time (swimming/ photoshoot)|
|10:00 AM – 11:00 AM||Pack up time|
|11:00 AM – 11:30 AM||Boat ride back to Matalom, Leyte|
|11:30 AM – 12:00 NN||Tricycle ride back to Bato, Leyte|
|12:00 NN – 1:00 PM||Lunch at a restaurant|
|1:00 PM – 5:00 PM||Rest at home and start packing up clothes|
|5:00 PM – 7:00 PM||Hang out in Bato Bay walk (walking distance from house), ate dinner|
|7:00 PM – 7:30 PM||Went back to the house to fetch our stuff.|
|7:30 PM – 7:45 PM||Pedicab ride to the port|
|7:45 PM||Road a ferry back to Cebu|
|BUDGET||INDIVIDUAL||AS A GROUP||REMARKS|
|Bus||PHP 90.00||(to Ubay, Bohol)|
|Pedicab||PHP 20.00||(from Terminal to Ubay port)|
|Boat||PHP 225.00||(Ubay to Bato)
Student price – Economy
|Terminal Fee||Php 12.00|
|Van||PHP 30.00||(Bato to Inopacan)|
|Van||PHP 30.00||(Inopacan to Bato)|
|Multicab||PHP 15.00||(Bato to Kiosko, Matalom)|
|Tricycle||PHP 15.00||(Kiosko to Bato)|
|Boat||PHP 65.00||(Matalom to Canigao)|
|Entrance Fee||PHP 40.00||(Entrance to Canigao)|
|Tricycle||PHP 15.00||(Matalom to Bato)|
|Pedicab||PHP 10.00||(Bato to Bato Port)|
|Boat||PHP 247.00||(Bato to Ubay)
Student price – Tourist
|Terminal fee||PHP 10.00|
|Van||PHP 150.00||(Ubay to Tagbilaran)|
|Food Contribution||PHP 247.00||PHP 2,830.00||Includes Day 2 lunch and dinner)|
|Lunch||PHP 70.00||Day 1 lunch at the Ubay port|
|Lunch||PHP 115.00||Day 3 Lunch|
|Dinner||PHP 55.00||Day 3 BBQ Dinner|